Wow: a lot has happened in the past month. After finding out I was accepted to a special opportunity (more on that in a later post), I spent almost all of May preparing for a big move to Chicago. I have now been here for almost a week and can finally consider myself settled in for the summer. So aside from my Social Networking Duties for AIGAKC, I took a break from blogging, etc. When Linden tagged me on her 8 Things Post, I thought it would be a great way to get back into the swing of writing and let you know what’s ahead for the summer. You can expect to see a lot more from me again…both here and on S&D.
Without further ado, my 8 Things:
8 Things I Am Looking Forward To:
- Exploring Chicago. While here, I fully expect to take advantage of being in a big city, and plan on blogging my finds. First stop is Lincoln Square later today.
- German Culture. Chicago has a lot more German restaurants, places to get ethnic foods, and German sections in a lot of the bookstores. I’ve already found myself some German honey and nutella: yum!
- Personal Projects. While here, I’m hoping to have more time to devote to several personal projects, including…
- Site Redesign. It’s long over-due, but I finally have the resources to put it in action.
- AIGAKC Leadership Retreat. I’ll have to attend from afar, but I can’t wait to hear what everybody learned out at Portland’s Leadership Retreat several weeks ago. I’ll be sure to share any thoughts both here and over on AIGAKC’s Discussions.
- June 22. More on this in the next post 😉
- July 15. The next Harry Potter movie comes out…what can I say? I’m a nerd.
- Mid-July. The family is taking a vacation to California: you get to come along with me and my camera. I’m especially looking forward to the redwood trees.
8 Things I Did Yesterday:
- Continued letting friends/colleagues know I was in Chicago. (Are You, dear reader, here? Let me know!)
- Contacted people about freelance opportunities.
- Updated my Creative Hotlist and AIGA profiles to say I was in Chicago.
- Ate a delicious PB&H sandwich with deutsche Honig: yum! (not sure why German honey tastes so much better than our’s…)
- Took a brief look at Lincoln Square: made note to come back.
- Added to and checked things off of my Monstrous-Summer-To-Do List.
- Took the Brown Line downtown.
- Went to Bluesfest with my cousin and friends.
8 Things I’d Like To Do (just a handful from the MSTD List):
- Finish putting together all of my photo albums
- Redesign this website
- Finish sketches/designs for gocco projects
- Finish designs for embroidery ideas
- Take my sketchbook to Millennium Park for a day
- Read Watership Down
- Upload new work to Flickr and blog about it.
- Locate the German sausage shop my friend mentioned and have a cook-out
8 Shows (and Podcasts) I Watch/Listen To:
- Pushing Daisies (so mad they cancelled this show…but at least they are airing the last of the last 3 episodes tonight)
- Samantha Who (again: why did they cancel it??)
- Dancing With the Stars
- Gestalten.tv (video podcast with interviews and documentaries with current artists/designers)
- Paul Rand Lecture Series (video podcast hosted by Steven Heller on graphic design art history)
- Design Matters (podcast hosted by Debbie Millman featuring interviews with designers)
- Animation Podcast (podcast featuring interviews with legendary animators)
8 Blogs to Read:
(ok, I switched this from tagging since I just really wanted to make recommendations)
- Linden’s Pensieve (everything from marathon training to German living to techie insight)
- Sarah Jo Austin (techie insight, crafts, and the other half of the brains behind The True Beginner’s Guide to Twitter)
- Carina’s Craftblog (crafts and diy culture)
- Celestina Carmen (crafts, book rec’s, diy culture)
- The Design Cubicle (articles on freelancing/client issues, great inspiration and links)
- Raw Toast Design (blog of fellow Missouri State grad, Jesse Kuhn, featuring his illustrations)
- Design Work Life (new favorite design inspiration blog)
- Anything Goes (great inspiration/new work from art director, Kat Black)